Is it too early to say I’m ready for fall? I could live in a constant 75 degrees, and it’s been sweltering here in Virginia. Like sweating just walking to the car…THAT hot. I think I just like change, which is why I look forward to new seasons. I also try to do small updates in my home whenever there’s a change of season. Here are a few quick ideas if your decor is lacking color and you’re up for a little update as well.
1. Accents, accents, accents. Jazz up a neutral space with colorful accents such as vases, paintings, or other colorful decorative accents. It’s an quick update and they’re easy to change out if you want to put together a new color scheme.
2. Fabrics. Add colorful fabrics to your room with pillows, curtains or blankets. Here are some of my favorites.
3. Let nature do the work. Bring in greenery or fresh flowers to add an easy punch of color to your space.
4. Area Rugs. Define a space and add color at the same time. Area rugs are easy to switch out if they get dirty, outdated or you want to change your scheme. Here are a few of go to rug sources. Also, read about layering area rugs here.
5. Mirror mirror on the wall. You’ve heard of mirrors making rooms look larger, but they also reflect OTHER colors in the room which gives the illusion of even more color!
6. Shelving. Have a regular old bookcase? Paint or wallpaper the back of the bookcase to add interest!
7. Show off your dishes. Bring your colorful dishes out to display through glass cabinets or shelving.
8. Determine your color scheme in advance. Decide which colors you’d like to bring into the space. Pick out paint swatches, flooring, fabrics, and furniture prior to purchasing. Combine pictures and samples together to see how it will look before bringing it into the space.
9. Wallpaper. The old school wallpaper has a bad reputation but the newer kinds allow for a much easier removal, so it’s not a forever commitment. It’s a great way to bring in patterns and interest to a room.
10. Tile accents. Add tile accents to wainscoting or shower in the bathroom or update a back splash with colorful mosaics.
12. Metal Accents. When shopping for new furniture, look for furniture with metal accents which add interest without adding a new color to your scheme.